I'm not the only one who blocks shawls like this, am I? I've always used pins and towels and lots of patience, but the washing line/peg approach seems to work better at opening out the stitches. I'm all for anything that makes life easier (i.e. I am lazy).
The garden is getting going. That's a Geum in the background. There are beans and mangetout climbing up, apples swelling, and the promise of flowers to come. Still, it's only a paltry 13 degrees here in North Edinburgh. (Kristen, are you surviving?) I'm washing all my shawls so I can pack them away until the autumn, but I can't help feeling I'm being a bit premature. I'm longing for some warmth, really.
I cursed that border as I was knitting it (and I think I might have mistreated it a little with those pegs) but I do love it, all the same. This Northern Summer Shawl was my mainstay all winter, and most likely will be next winter, as well; though I have a plan. Well, I had a plan.
I'm very fond of triangular shawls. I'm absolutely the-opposite-of-fond of purling. Garter stitch is fine up to a point, but not my favourite. So I thought: why not make a shawl in the round? Knit a cone shape, and then steek it? Maybe use up some more of that huge bag of Shetland and Harris wool? A simple lace pattern and a few toning colours? I was rather chuffed at my original and terribly practical idea, and then discovered that steeked shawls have been done before by better knitting brains than mine. Ah well, no matter if I'm not the very first person ever to do it. I will still enjoy hours and hours of very smug not-purling...
No comments:
Post a Comment